Diarrhea Home > Severe Diareah
Were you looking for information about Diarrhea? Severe diareah is a common misspelling and variation of diarrhea.
Severe diarrhea is not a disease -- it is a symptom of certain medical conditions. Diarrhea can be caused by many things, including food intolerance, reactions to medicine, and intestinal diseases.
Often, the only necessary treatment for diarrhea involves replacing lost fluids and electrolytes to prevent dehydration; however, severe diarrhea may require treatment with antibiotics or diet and lifestyle changes. See your healthcare provider if any of the following is true:
- You have had diarrhea for more than three days
- You have severe pain in the abdomen or rectum
- You have a fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit or higher
- You see blood in your stool or have black, tarry stools
- You have signs of dehydration.
(Click Diarrhea to read the complete eMedTV article, which further explains how diarrhea is defined, other conditions it is associated with, and more. You can also click on any of the links in the box to the right for more specific information.)