How Long Does Diarrhea Last?
How Long Should My Diarrhea Last Before Contacting My Doctor?You should see the doctor if any of the following is true:
- You have diarrhea for more than three days
- You have severe pain in the abdomen or rectum
- You have a fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit or higher
- You see blood in your stool or have black, tarry stools
- You have signs of dehydration.
If your child has diarrhea, do not hesitate to call the healthcare provider for advice. Diarrhea in children can be dangerous if they lose too much fluid and it is not replaced quickly.
Take your child to the doctor if any of the following symptoms appear (This is especially important if your child is six months old or younger):
- Stools containing blood, mucus, or pus
- Watery diarrhea with repeated vomiting
- Your child is acting very sick
- Temperature above 101.4 degrees Fahrenheit
- No improvement after 24 hours
- Signs of dehydration.